As the New Year rolls around again, it’s a wonderful time to review and reflect, to learn and grow from the successes and challenges of the past year.
Review your year with thoughtfulness and calm. This isn’t about beating yourself up for what you did or didn’t do, but rather to simply and dispassionately assess what worked and what didn’t, and where some small tweaks could bring more results.
It is useful to do a review like this quarterly, like a job performance review, to assess where you’re at in line with your goals and what needs to be addressed.
Write down the answers to this and keep it in a file for year-end review & goals. Then when the end of this year comes you can compare your progress.
Questions to help you assess and review…
Last Years Goals
- What were my resolutions or goals for 2011?
- Did I have clear, specific goals that were written down and reviewed?
- Did I take action towards my goals?
- Did I achieve the goals I set? Did I partially achieve them?
- What were my greatest accomplishments for 2011 that I am most proud of?
- And what else? (there’s always more)
- What actions did I take to achieve these accomplishments?
- What strengths and skills enabled me to be able to take these actions?
- How can I apply these strengths to move forward in 2012?
- What did I learn to help me achieve these accomplishments?
Challenges & Barriers
- What did I intend to do in 2011 that did not get done?
- What were the internal challenges or barriers I faced in 2011 that contributed to not accomplishing everything I wanted? (thoughts, beliefs)
- What were the external barriers of challenged I faced?
- How did I deal with each of these?
- If I were to face them again now, could I handle it differently?
- How did not achieving those goals serve me last year?
- What have I learned from those challenges?
- What did I achieve instead?
- How did those challenges serve me?
- What does it mean to me now that I didn’t achieve what I initially wanted?
- Does that empower me? If not, what else could I learn or realise that would help me to let go of the past and move forward?
- When I did overcome barriers and challenges, what skills and strengths did I use?
- How have I grown from my accomplishments and my challenges?
- What am I most grateful for as I reflect back on the year?
- What have I learned as I reflect back over the whole year?
- Who are my greatest supporters or support systems in my life?
- How can I share my gratitude with those who have supported me?
Hopes & Plans
- What would need to happen for this year to be my best ever?
- What would I like to be different in the upcoming year?
- What would it feel like to experience this difference?
- What small steps can I take to move towards experiencing this?
- What am I willing to do to make this change a reality?
- What barriers and challenges do I anticipate?
- What strategies can I put into place to overcome these barriers?
Goals & Action Steps
- What are my specific goals for each area of my life?
- Do they fit with each other?
- What is my overarching intention or focus for this year?
- How can I break those goals down into quarterly, monthly, weekly action steps?
- Diarise the outcome goals and the action steps.
- What is the first step I need to take today to get closer to my goals?
For assistance with goal setting that works, read this post.
Let me know how you go with this review and please share your greatest lessons from the year, so we can all learn from each other!