Hopefully you’ll never be in a situation where you’ll have to eat one of those disgusting high protein survival grubs that Bear ate. When he’s out in the wild, he eats for nutrition alone, whatever it takes to survive. And recently Masterchef’s Matt Preston has embarked on a health and weight loss program with trainer Amelia Burton because his taste for delicious food was affecting his health. These are two very different people who evaluate food in different ways.
So, when you look in the fridge, shop at the supermarket, or plan your weeks menu’s how do you evaluate and plan your choices? Are you more Grylls or Preston? Have you ever thought about it? My challenge to you in this post is to work out your own criteria or values for how you choose food and post it in the comments below.
Consciously knowing your food evaluation criteria will make ordering from menu’s, shopping and planning dinner a breeze! And, you’ll be able to notice if some of your criteria is not serving you in your weight loss efforts.
The truth is, if you’re eating more for taste alone, you may struggle with your weight, if you don’t have an active lifestyle and a natural taste for healthy foods.
Now this is a continuum of choice from Taste to Nutrition. It’s not strictly either / or. You probably fall somewhere in the middle, or tend slightly more to one side or the other. Find out where you fall with the answer to this question: Would you choose to regularly eat / drink something that tasted bad if you knew it was really good for you?
I had never really thought about this before writing this post and now realise 90% of my meals follow this criteria; To the point where I will make weird salads and odd combinations of mush bowls (like a tin of salmon, corn, beans, mashed sweet potato and avocado) when I am eating for myself. The other 10% of the time accounts for some cookies, chocolate or a creamy gourmet pasta my husband makes for dinner.
This whole idea is underpinned by that old commonly held belief that healthy food is not tasty and unhealthy food is. (I’m hearing Homer Simpson singing: “You don’t make friends with Sal-Ad!”)
“Au contraire” I say!
Healthy food can be very tasty. And lots of unhealthy food tastes like crap. Which is a matter of opinion, of course. (That was mine.)
The thing is, your tastebuds are very obedient. They will adapt to like whatever food you give them consistently. They will also adapt according to the thoughts you choose to think about the food you are eating. You have the power to make your food more or less “tasty” by imbuing it with mental and emotional meaning.
Here’s some examples:
To make vegetables or fruit more tasty you can imagine you are eating the pure energy of the sun and it’s filling up your body with light.
Or to make meat less tasty you could think about the slaughter process, or animal cruelty.
To make doughnuts less tasty you could think about how it clogs your artery veins, how the sugar is like poison in your body making you age faster, giving you wrinkles and the white flour causing constipation. Ick.
If you invest some time learning about nutrition and the effect that different foods have on your body you will begin to shift your perceptions toward nutrition and improving health. There is loads of nutritional information online, in books and magazines about the essential nutrients in certain fruits and vegetables. Learn a little bit about it, and your body will thank you.
What’s your food criteria? More taste, or more nutrition?
Do you disagree with me? I’d love to hear your thoughts…
“Having ongoing training is essential for our team and our business. It’s important to look after the people that look after others. Kylie has the experience, professionalism and knowledge to engage with our team and help them understand about human behaviour and why people do what they do. In the wellness and health industry it’s a different sales and service delivery and it’s imperative to keep on top of these understandings to perform at our best to help others. We couldn’t recommend Kylie high enough.”
I have worked with Kylie over many years. She has helped me as a Business Mindset Coach, as a motivational speaker for clients when I had my gyms with Vision and more recently at Flow Athletic. I bring her in to train my Personal Training teams in mindset, communication and how to coach our clients better and excel in our own personal mastery.
I highly recommend her work.